17 January 2009

News from the developer: 17/1-09

This is JoRu with some news from the developer.

I've now decided to use battles for The Residence of Old Riddles. There was alot of talk about that on my RPG Revolution-topic when I didn't use it, but now I've decided to use battles. But of course that doesn't mean it will be an ordinary battle system. While I'm using the famous RPG Tankentai SBS the battles will be pretty different from most other RPGs. First of all there's no monsters or creatures in the game. In a place called Terrano Woodlands for instance there's bandits (or "Rascals" as they're called in the game) and a few other enemies I haven't made yet.

Also, you get no XP from battles. To explain XP in the game in full, you get it from quests and similiar actions. In the main-hub Bouganville you have a house, and your quest-giver, a character yet to be revealed gives you the ability to gain XP. He/She (won't tell you which gender) won't let you sleep to enter the next day until you've gained enough XP. The game is spread out over three days and to gain XP from battles would make the game even shorter than it's planned to be right now.

Now, the battle system comes with a little side-effect at the moment. I've switched back to 544x416 resolution. I'm no scripter, and unless someone could configure the RPG Tankentai to match a higher resolution that will stay. Sorry, but I felt that battles were more important right now. That's all for now.

No comments: